Wednesday, November 10, 2010

All Things Charleston

So I decided I needed to get away this weekend to just relax and be foolish, so I went to one of my favorite cities in the world, Charleston, SC.  I don't know what it is about this city that makes me go Ga-Ga?  Could it be the old low-country feel with a bit of a modern city twist.  The shopping, restaurants and hotels all FAB!  Everything you look at is amazing, with all cute Carolina Boys (which I seriously cannot say "NO" to), great historical architecture and beautiful gardens.  I drove into the city at sunset which is one of the most wonderful things to set your eyes on.  Things like that make me LOVE living in South Carolina and could never see myself anywhere else! 

 FRIDAY:

I started the night out with a visit to a very good friend's brand new cigar shop Town Center Tobacco at the Shops at Oakland in Mt. Pleasant.  They just opened the doors and it is going to be "the place" to go in the city.  A great dinner at Langdon's, where I had the steak and it was FAB!  I pride myself on my knowledge of all things beef (thanks to my father's obsession and constant teachings) and this was one of the best Filet Mignon's I have ever had!  We decided to go downtown to my friend's other location on E. Bay St. called Charleston Tobacco and Wine! We had a great time enjoying Cigar Box Wine and I smoked a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial.  I would say Friday was a good night!




SATURDAY:

Now the main purpose of my trip to Charleston was to see two of my Sigma Kappa Sorority Sisters and go to the Elon vs. Citadel football game.  At least that was the plan....  Now there is something that has to be known about Elon football games, you never make it into the game.  I think in my four years at Elon I may have attended 4 games and I had either left at halftime or came in at halftime.  Now it's not because they suck.  It's because students at Elon would rather tailgate then see sporting events.  Plain and simple!

So I went and picked up Bekah and we went and met Anne.  Both girls I adore.  Bekah is a traveling marketing rep for a golf club in Ireland (click here for her blog)  and Anne is working towards her Property Management license.  Three of us are so completely different (like colored sprinkles, Anne) but there is this lame sorority mystic bond that will make us pick up right where we had left off!  Next thing I know we are not in the stadium and two bottles of Champagne went down REAL quick.

Of course the topic of men is going to always come up in conversation and since the three of us ladies are single you can imagine all the laughs we were having about our dating history.  Just as I am sure we were commenting on how stupid boys are, two Citadel Cadets approach us and the "hot mess" they were became our entertainment for the next hour!
Nick (I have the longest Greek name ever) Pappageorgio and Keegan (I have a chipped tooth)

It all started with "hey do you have a cigarette and a key".  The key was to show Mr. Half Tooth Keegan how to shotgun his first beer.  His first attempt was not graceful and when he finished the beer ran all the way down his jacket.  Which we later learned about their uniforms that the jacket may only get washed about 2-3 times a year  (GROSS!) and we asked if they didn't believe in "no white after labor day faux pas".   Now when he went for beer number  two and still couldn't figure it out I knew this kid was hopelessly wasted and would probably fail out considering he is a Physics major and couldn't figure out how to balance a beer with a hole on the side..hmmmm?

Now the best thing about this situation was the fact that they thought we were 24 years old.  That was a great thing to hear considering I haven't been 24 in 7 years...After much convincing they asked our names and when Bekah told her name, Nick "the Greek" fell to his knees and started bowing to her like Wayne's World "We're not worthy routine".  We look at each other like what the hell is this kid doing.  So when asked he goes "her name is Mecca so I am praying to her, aren't you Muslim?"  ..pause...hmm...Bekah is a blonde protestant....exactly. 

Well they left to go relieve themselves and also left one of their hats.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to snag it in time to keep as a momento of my trip but they came back for it...dear lord.  But the kicker comes at the end of course.  Just as we are packing it up to head to the Mad River in downtown, Nick the Greek shoves his phone at me.  So I assume that he wanted to show me something...nope number pad was out.  I looked at this drunken, confused 20 year old and simple said, "oh honey, I'm not giving you my number."  Upset he turns to Bekah who is on the ground hysterical and just breaks the kids heart ...again.  Needless to say they peaced out REAL quick. 

 We had a great time warming up at the Mad River an old church converted into a sports bar.  We had some dinner at a FAB! place called Pearlz Oyster Bar (more champagne) and then headed to Charleston Tobacco and Wine.  I showed the girls how to smoke a cigar, drank probably another couple bottles of champagne (I think onto bottle 5) and listened to a great musician.  The ambiance was incredible.  I had old friends, a comfy seat, great champagne, great smoke (Butera) and a great night.

The comfy couches!


It was sad leaving my favorite city on Sunday.  As I drove through the low country I thought why don't I do this more often it's only a hour and half drive,  The girls and I have decided to make it more frequent that we see each other then 7-9 years.  Just wondering if next time will top this visit..for some reason I think how could it not, it's my favorite place!

0 comments:

Post a Comment